Using the Office 365 Online Archive and Setting Retention Policies
Each Office 365 email enabled account features an Online Archive mailbox. An archive mailbox is a specialized mailbox that appears alongside the users’ primary mailbox folders in Outlook or Outlook Web App. Users can access the archive in the same way that they access their primary mailboxes.
Features of the Archive Mailbox
- Unlimited archive email storage that does not use your primary mailbox quota
- Messages can be moved to the archive automatically or manually
- The Archive mailbox is easily accessible through the Outlook Web App (OWA) and Microsoft Outlook 2013 and higher
- Messages in the archive mailbox are easily searchable and viewable from any location
Moving Messages to the Archive Mailbox
Users can drag and drop messages from .pst files into the archive called Online Archive – “Your Email Address”, for easy online access. Users can also move email items from the primary mailbox to the archive mailbox automatically, using Archive Polices, to reduce the size and improve the performance of the primary mailbox.
Users can import data to the archive in the following ways:
- Import data from a .pst file using Outlook’s Import and E xport wizard .
- Drag email messages from .pst files into the archive.
- Drag email messages from the primary mailbox into the archive.
- Let archive policies automatically move email messages from the primary mailbox, based on the age of the messages.
Apply a Retention policy to a folder:
- Right-click on the folder and select Properties.
- Go to the Policy
- Select the type of Retention policy you want to apply.