Multi Factor Authentication
Instructions to Configure MFA
NOTE: MFA is not supported on the Android or iPhone default mail apps.
IMPORTANT: If you are using the default mail app to receive NEIT mail on your mobile phone, you will have to switch to the Outlook app.
1. You will need your phone and your computer for these instructions.
2. Install the Microsoft Authenticator mobile app on your mobile phone.
3. On your computer, open a Private/Incognito browser to logon to office 365. To do this in Chrome, click the 3 dots on the top right and select “New Incognito Window”
4. On your computer, use this incognito browser window to logon to portal.office.com with your email address and password.
5. After you type your password, you will be prompted to provide more information. Click Next.
6. Select “Mobile App” to use the Microsoft Authenticator. Select “Receive notifications for verification” and then click “Set Up”. You will see a QR code on your computer monitor.
7. On your phone, open the Authenticator app and add a new account. Select Work or School Account, Scan QR code. Allow the camera to access the app, then scan the QR code by holding the phone up to your computer screen where the QR image is displayed. The authenticator will configure a NEIT account for you.
8. Once your account has been configured, return to the Office 365 login screen on your computer. Select “Receive notifications for Verification” once again and then click Next. Your phone will now display a prompt to be approved. Select “Approve”.
9. On your computer, on the next screen, add your mobile phone number in case you are unable to use the mobile app for some reason. This will provide another method of authentication.
10. Click Done.
11. You will be logged into your NEIT Office 365 portal. From here, it’s important to add at least one more method of authentication in case you do not have access to your phone. To do this, click the icon on the top right side of the Office 365 window. This icon displays your last initial, first initial. Select “View Account”.
12. In the left sidebar, select “Security info” and then “Add Method”. You can add your NEIT desk phone or other methods here. While on this screen, verify that your Default Sign-In Method is the Microsoft Authenticator – Notification. This is the easiest method to use, but you can select your preferred default method on this screen.
13. When done, close this browser window. You should log off your computer and log back on after you have completed the steps to update Outlook and make sure it’s working properly.
14. The mobile app should prompt you for authentication every seven days, and when you logon to a new device or using a new browser. You may also be prompted on your phone to authenticate your NEIT email periodically.